Sunday 28 March 2021

Soldering Update

I have recently made a big breakthrough in some of my soldering projects!

When I was last testing the Weird Sound Effects Generator, it was very loud through an amplifier even with the volume on 0. I have found out that the reason for this is because the amp's input is designed for an 'instrument level' signal, which from a guitar pickup is a very low voltage (well under a volt), but the Weird Sound circuit output is based on its power source, which is a 9V battery. So it's overpowering the amp circuitry.

I fixed this by using two resistors as a voltage divider, to try limiting the voltage from the Weird Sound circuit to the amp. This fixed the problem! I had to add over 1 mega-ohm of resistance!

Here are some sound samples from the Swanee Whistler and the Weird Sound Effects Generator (in that order) with the new voltage divider mod:
https://soundcloud.com/user-879811118/sound-samples-swanee-whistler-and-weird-sound-sample-2



No comments: