Sunday 28 June 2020

Vinyl Fest #7 - Armed Forces - Elvis Costello and the Attractions

It was one of the first releases of the LP, which is quite different from most other LPs because you get 4 postcards, a 7" EP which you could only get with the LP and a fold-out design!

I rate it as OK, as it is a bit 'poppy' for my taste, but has some good playing and is worth a decent listen. My favouite songs are 'Party Girl' (Side A, Track 6), because of the sudden contrasts in the song, and 'Sunday's Best' (Side B, Track 3), because of the 3/4 'oom-pa-pa' style.

What I really like about the LP is the artwork. It's a very colourful abstract, pop art style. My favourite panel is the Mondrian-style one.

The artwork was done by graphic artist Barney Bubbles (real name Colin Fulcher), who worked with lots of musicians, including Hawkwind, Kraftwerk and Billy Bragg. Type "Barney Bubbles artwork" into Google Images to see some of his artwork. And there's a radio programme on the BBC, "In Search of Barney Bubbles":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018wh7h

The front cover elephant painting was done by Tom Pogson, but I can't find out much about him on the Internet. I know he did a 'Somemonsters' project in 1980, but I can only find one image from that on Etsy.

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Hsdhjbl9gVEPVNBhKNpjbuPGC-Dyul0

Front cover

Fold-out design






Individual panels













Album slip



LP sides



Postcards





7" EP



EP sides



Everything together!

Tom Pogson image on Etsy

No comments: