Tuesday 5 May 2020

Harley Benton JA-60 Mods #1!

This all started with an idea to do a Link Wray homage based around his Yamaha SG-2, using a modern Yamaha Revstar, but the numbers worked out too expensive!

I already had a Harley Benton JA-60, which is a really nice guitar, but maybe lacks a 'wow' factor, and as that's the sort of guitar that Link Wray might play if he was starting off today, I thought I'd use that instead!

The plan is to fit a Duesenberg tremolo with Vanson roller bridge, change the 'salami' pickguard, and change the bridge pickup for a Catswhisker mini humbucker. (The Harley Benton Jazzmaster pickups are pretty good but I wanted something with a bit of attitude in the bridge.)

This will be an ongoing project, and I don't know when it will be finished, because I have to wait for my local guitar shop to reopen to solder in the pickup!

No comments: