Sunday 31 May 2020

Self-Isolation Vinyl Fest #4 - Watch Your Step - Ted Hawkins.

The fourth LP in my Self-Isolation Vinyl Fest is Ted Hawkins' album, 'Watch Your Step'.

The album is interesting because despite being a 1986 LP, the songs were recorded in the early 1970s by Bruce Bromberg. It was originally released in 1982 in the USA on Rounder Records, but this is a 1986 'made in France' version on the 'Windows on the World' label, which I can't find any information on, apart from the fact that they only did Ted Hawkins songs! So I'm guessing it was set up specifically to sell Ted Hawkins music in Europe.

The LP has a '50s soul sound - although it is hard to pigeonhole, with bits of gospel, blues and country. It also has a subtle guitar voice, really to back the vocals. I think it deserves concentrated listening, as there is more going on then a casual listen might suggest. For instance, Ted Hawkins uses his own songs, so they are personal to himself.

My favouite song is 'Who got my Natural Comb?' (Side A, Track 6), because of the rhythm. The bass was played by Dennis Walker, who has played with big names like B.B. King and Robert Cray.

I like the cover artwork because it has a geometric, abstract look, including a Yamaha acoustic! The photographer was Carl Keyes, who has also worked with Robert Cray.

I think Ted Hawkins should be a bigger name but was on the wrong side of the law too long - which shows you to make the most of your opportunities!

I also like the fact that it is 'environmentally friendly', in the sense that it was made in France for the European market, rather than being made miles away and flown halfway around the world.

Here he is on an Andy Kershaw BBC session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCykU8A1ARM






No comments: