Saturday 9 May 2020

Self-Isolation Vinyl Fest #1 - Slade Alive!

The first LP for my Self-Isolation Vinyl Fest is, of course, by Slade and is called 'Slade Alive!'. It's a 1972 Polydor LP and many of the tracks are rock and roll covers; only three out of the seven tracks on there are actually by Slade!

It's a gatefold LP, which I really like, and when you open it up, it gives a panoramic landscape of one of Slade's concerts - which I really like, mainly due to the extreme tonal range on there. The photography was done by famous rock photographer Chris Walter. I don't like the picture on the inner sleeve too much, but there are some great press reviews for you to read.

My favourite track is 'Get Down With It' (Side B, Track 2, by Bobby Marchan), but the LP opens with a really great rocking blues riff in 'Hear Me Calling' (Side A, Track 1, by Alvin Lee).

The album is considered as one of the greatest live all-time albums (according to Wikipedia!).

It has been re-released on vinyl and CD, but this is the original 1972 LP, bought by my dad in 1972!

You can hear it on Youtube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIRuXgCz4A







No comments: